News of Chester Arthur's Death

[From page 1 of The New York Times, November 19, 1886]




     Ex-President Chester Alan Arthur died at 5:10 o'clock yesterday morning at his residence, No. 123 Lexington-avenue. The immediate cause of his death was cerebral apoplexy, due to the rupture of a small artery within the brain during Tuesday night or early on Wednesday morning. From the time of the attack the ex-President did not speak. He did not become immediately unconscious, but power of speech failed him and consciousness rapidly dimmed, although almost to the last he showed signs of ability to appreciate, in an even fainter degree, what was going on about him. In the closing hour of his life he opened his eyes several times, and at the end turned his head on the pillow. Then all was over.
     His sisters, Mrs. McElroy and Mrs. Carr, his son Alan, Surrogate Rollins, and Dr. William A. Valentine, assistant to Dr. George A. Peters, Gen. Arthur's regular physician, were at the bedside. Miss Nellie, the only daughter, had retired a little before the end. Death came so quietly that she could not be summoned in time. Assistant District Attorney Arthur H. Masten, who is a nephew, was also out of the room at the moment. He had been one of the watchers during the long night. Dr. Peters had been in attendance nearly all of Wednesday. He went away ad midnight. There was no occasion to disturb him afterward.
     Although from the beginning of his illness Gen. Arthur was not ignorant of its gravity, his feelings were characteristic of the diseast, buoyant and depressed by turns. Upon his return from New-London, on Sept. 27, he felt so much benefited that he was sanguine of recovery. His appearance even after a Summer of rest and change was sadly unlike the robust picture familiar to the public eye. Any one who had seen him in his vigor might have passed him without recognition. The features still remained, but they were pallid and hollow and the full, straight figure still showed the emaciation that had alarmed the patient and his friends before he sought a change of surroundings. But he felt better. He was again in excellent spirits, and talked confidently of plans for business and pleasure. When the Presidency of the Arcade Railway Company was offered him, he accepted it, believing that he would be able to discharge its duties. A few days after his return he felt so well that he went out driving. The effort fatigued him excessively. He was not willing to believe the fatigue due to his enfeebled condition, but laid it to the rough streets. In speaking of the drive, he used to say, not wholly with jocose meaning, that one of the aims of his life, after he should resume outdoor activity, would be to secure at least one avenue over which people might drive to the Park without being jolted half to death.
     After this he became feebler, but was loth to despair. From having been accustomed to go all over his house, he began to confine himself as long as a month ago to his bedroom floor. There he read books and newspapers, mapped out his business plans, and received his friends. He loved to chat with his old friends. The developments of the municipal campaign interested him greatly, and he regretted that his enfeebled condition prevented him for the first time from registering and voting. A fortnight or ten days ago a spell of depression came upon him. He rarely left his bed, and grew listless about his affairs. Firing the latter part of last week he began again to recover his spirits. On Monday he walked about his bedroom and the room adjoining. Ex-Secretary William E. Chandler was one of his callers on that day. They had a pleasant talk, in which the past was recalled and plans for the future were discussed. On Tuesday Gen. Arthur rose and walked about. He expressed himself as feeling better than he had for months. When Dr. Peters called he talked with him about going to the Restigouche to fish next Summer, saying he guessed he would have to take the doctor with him. Those who rang his bell that night to inquire after his condition were informed that he was much improved.
     As 8 o'clock on Wednesday morning the housemaid went up stairs to prepare his room for him to rise. When she had done so she asked him a question about some detail for his comfort. Getting no reply she repeated the question. She had seen him move as she entered the room and supposed he was awake. As he still failed to answer she looked at him and saw from his face that something was the matter. The household was at once alarmed. Dr. Peters arrived in a few minutes. He soon discovered the cause of this fatal change. The attack had paralyzed the patient's right side, and while consciousness had not departed it was plain that death could not much longer be delayed. While the physician was doing what he could toward relief Gen. Arthur frequently opened his eyes, as if he understood what had happened and what was to be expected.
     During all of Wednesday the household waited in or near the sick room. Mr. Knevals called, as did Mr. Ransom, both formerly Gen. Arthur's law partners, Mr. Masten, Surrogate Rollins, and Lawyer Charles E. Miller. As each in turn took the patient's hand he opened his eyes and recognition seemed plain in each case. Further indication of consciousness was furnished whenever he was desired to take nourishment or medicine, as he opened his mouth without assistance when asked to do so.
     After Dr. Peters went home, at midnight, the watchers at the bedside could see how life was ebbing. From having been able to recognize faces the ex-President passed gradually to a condition in which he could barely distinguish that several figures were near him. Then his respiration, which had been increasing, became intermittent as well as rapid. He breathed rapidly for a time, and then not at all, as though the effort to breathe was exhausting.
     The ticking of a clock in the room was the only sound to break the stillness. Whether or not the patient retained enough consciousness to be influenced by the clock's ticking, the watchers noticed that he breathed with nearly every tick. For four hours from a little after midnight his respiration followed a regular course -- 40 times in 45 seconds, and then not at all for 35 seconds. This was so regular and lasted over such a period that those who sat there with nothing to do except to wait for the end could not help noticing it and timing his periods of respiration and silence by the ticking of the clock.
     By 4:30 o'clock yesterday morning regularity in this respect ceased. By this time not a sign of consciousness remained. The patient's breathing became quicker and fainter with longer intervals of silence. He had not moved for two hours, when at 5:10 o'clock he turned on his pillow. All knew at once that he was dead.
     Charge of affairs at the house was soon turned over to Mr. J.C. Reed, for many years Gen. Arthur's secretary, and to Surrogate Rollins. They sent a telegram first to the ex-President's brother, Major William Arthur, who is now stationed in San Antonio, Texas, and to other relations, and also to the surviving members of the ex-President's Cabinet as follows: William E. Chandler, ex-Secretary of the Navy; Robert T. Lincoln, ex-Secretary of War; Frank Hatton, ex-Postmaster-General; Benjamin Harris Brewster, ex-Attorney-General; Henry M. Teller, ex-Secretary of the Interior, Hugh McCulloch, ex-Secretary of the Treasury, and Walter Q. Gresham, ex-Postmaster-General and ex-Secretary of the Treasury. As undertaker was then summoned and the funeral was at first set for to-morrow morning at 9 o'clock. It was afterward decided to postpone the funeral until Monday morning at the same hour. The services will take place at the Church of the Heavenly Rest, on Fifth-avenue near Forty-fifth-street. Of this church Mrs. Arthur was a member, and it was the church that Gen. Arthur attended before his public duties took him away from the city. It was arranged also that the Rev. D. Parker Morgan, Assistant Rector of the church, should officiate, Mr. Morgan being a graduate of Union College, from which Gen. Arthur was graduated. The Rev. Dr. W.A. Leonard, of Washington, will be asked to assist. The postponement of the funeral is in order to enable Major Arthur and the members of President Arthur's Cabinet to be present. To the undertaker were left the preparations for the interment in the family plot in the Rural Cemetery, at Albany, where Mrs. Arthur's body rests.
     Sympathizing friends began to reach the house early in the morning. The son and daughter and the sisters remained in seclusion, and no one was admitted to see the body, which lay in the bedchamber up stairs, where the General died. Messrs. Knevals and Ransom called among the first. Charles E. Miller, Henry A. Oakley, Stephen B. French, Warner Miller, James Otis, Gen. Anson G. McCook, George Bliss, and Cornelius N. Bliss called before noon. By that time several telegrams of condolence had also been received.
&,#160;    During the afternoon there was a continual stream of callers at the Lexington-avenue house. Many left cards only, others conveyed oral messages of sympathy, and telegrams in large numbers were received. Surrogate Rollins had rested and was again in charge with Secretary Reed. To one caller Mr. Rollins said, speaking of his friend's bearing during his long sickness: "He showed himself a brave and patient man. No one ever questioned his bravery, but those who knew him best and had observed how in health he sometimes fretted over small things, being a man of nervous temperament, will be comforted to know that he bore this great affliction without a murmur, and even cheerfully. His conduct in sickness illustrates, as in other notable cases, that a man whom petty things annoy may be the most patient of sufferers when gravely afflicted." To inquiries about the ex-President's appearance Mr. Rollins said: "I think he would be recognized by any one who had seen him only a little when in health. But I may not be able to judge of that, as I have seen him frequently during his illness. In the last weeks of his life he certainly had the appearance of a man who had been stout but had become painfully reduced in flesh."
     Among the afternoon callers at the house were Mr. and Mrs. John Bloodgood, Cyrus W. Field, Mr. and Mrs. George Langden Ingraham, Nathaniel Gibbs Ingraham, Allan Campbell, Edwards Pierrepont, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Corning Clark, Gen. Schofield, Mrs. Charles Steele, the Misses Nevins, relatives of the Arthur family; Mrs. W.S. Hamilton, Gen. George H. Sharpe, the Rev. D. Parker Morgan, Theodore Frelinghuysen and Miss Tillie Frelinghuysen, Miss Mamie Maury, Mrs. D.S. Gregory, Mr. and Mrs. Stedman, George S. Coleman, F. May, the Rev. W.S. Raineford, Henry Clews, Hamilton Fish, Jr., William H. Kelly, Dr. Hepburn, and Seth B. French.
     At dusk a long telegram came from ex-Attorney-General Brewster, saying that he would attend the funeral, and offering to serve as a pall bearer. Secretary Reed said the desire of the family was that the members of the ex-President's Cabinet might act as pall bearers, but that this could not be determined until all had responded to the notices sent them in the morning. Word was received that ex-Secretaries Chandler, Hatton, Feresham, Brewster, and Lincoln will be present.
     Last evening the relatives of Mr. Arthur who were present in the city gathered together and talked of the ex-President's life and read over dispatches sent by condoling and sympathetic friends. Gen. Schofield, from Governor's Island, called at the house and offered his services in any capacity. He also offered a detachment of his command at the funeral. The family, however, did not care to make the funeral in any manner a military one and only accepted the tender of a small guard of honor, who will be present at the funeral and will probably proceed with the remains to their resting place at Albany. The idea of simple services and funeral will be adhered to.
     A dispatch was received from Secretary Daniel S. Lamont stating that the President would attend the funeral, and would be accompanied by the Secretaries of State, Navy, and Interior, and by the Postmaster-General.


     Dr. George A. Peters, speaking yesterday of some of the features and incidents of Gen. Arthur's illness, said he had never known a more heroic patient. Either of his ailments -- Bright's disease or enfeebled and enlarged heart -- was dangerous. No one attempted to withhold from him the gravity of his troubles, although, of course, care was taken that nothing should be said that might needlessly depress him. "I doubt," said Dr. Peters, "if he ever thought he could recover. Perhaps he hoped the end was not so near. Yet he calmly awaited any result without a sign of fear. The common impression that he was a high liver is a mistaken one. He was never that in the sense in which it is applied to men who really live high. I mean that he was always careful of what he put upon his table. Through the greater part of his illness he retained a fair appetite, which might not have been the case had he spoiled himself with high living.
     "The attack that ended his life was not anticipated by him. I had considered it as among the possibilities, for such an attack is one of the ways in which the disease he had terminates. When the attack came, however, I believe he realized that it was fatal, and if I can judge from the expression of his face I think he was gratified that he was to die so painlessly. He did not at any time suffer much actual pain. He could feel and see himself wasting -- that was all."
     Dr. Peters said that for fully six months Gen. Arthur's condition was such that he was liable to die at any time. During that period, although he had lost flesh, he did not become so much reduced as to shock those who saw him. Dr. Peters said the face would look quite natural in the coffin.
     When asked if Gen. Arthur's illness on the Tallapoosa during his Florida trip in April, 1883, was a precursor of his last illness, Dr. Peters said that attack was consequent only on the trip up the St. John's River, and was not of the nature of the President's last illness.


     The serious phase of ex-President Arthur's illness dates from early last Winter, when he and his friends first became alarmed at the symptoms, and all but the most hopeful arrived at the unwilling conclusion that a fatal termination was inevitable. The end had been foreseen long before this, however, according to a Washington gentleman who knew Mr. Arthur when he presided over the White House. The story is that at the time Dr. Lincoln, Mr. Arthur's Washington physician, approached Secretary of State Frelinghuysen one day and told him that he considered it his professional duty to warn him that President Arthur had Bright's disease. The doctor added that while Mr. Arthur might live for many years, he was liable to be stricken down at any moment. This was in 1883, and the ex-President survived this warning just about three years.
     Of course the statement of Dr. Lincoln was not communicated to the President, but Mr. Arthur was not entirely ignorant of his physical condition at this time. If he did not know that he was threatened with the deadly disease, he certainly had the fear of it constantly before his mind for years before Dr. Lincoln's professional eye discovered its signs, and he often expressed this fear to his intimate friends. Apprehension is, perhaps, the better word, for President Arthur had no fear of death in the cowardly sense of the word, and when the long struggle with the disease came, he faced it bravely and fought the battle nobly. But for a long time before the disease actually appeared, Mr. Arthur had a premonition of its coming, and he may almost be said to have foretold the manner of his death long before the disease itself had touched him.
     Upon his return from Washington at the close of his term in the Spring of 1885, it was his intention to resume the practice of law, and he settled himself in offices for that purpose. He began to waste away perceptibly almost at once, and the preliminary symptoms of Bright's disease began to show themselves. His friends soon began to suspect the melancholy truth, and finally. at the suggestion and pleading, Mr. Arthur concluded to take a long rest in the hope that this might stave off the fatal stages of the disease. He gave up his attendance at his offices and devoted himself to the quiet pleasures of domestic life. The early Winter of 1885 found him an occasional visitor among his friends, and sometimes, though rarely, he was seen at public assemblages. Gradually, however, he was missed by his intimates, and his library at home became more and more acquainted with his presence. Dr. Peters had been attending him carefully for months, but so secret had the fact of his declining health been kept that it was a shock of genuine surprise that in February last the public learned that ex-President Arthur was ill at his Lexington-avenue house, and that there was danger of his death at any time.
     Mr. Arthur was a very sensitive man, and it was to meet his views that the family preserved a guarded secrecy in regard to his actual condition. He could not bear to have his friends or the public know that the strong man whom they knew in health was slowly fading away, and even after the first reports of his serious illness had been published there were many who failed to realize its solemn import, so difficult was it to get an confirmation of the sad news. But in March Mr. Arthur was compelled to take to his bed for the greater part of the day, so weak and emaciated had he become. Then the stoutest hearts among his friends began to feat the worst, and Dr. Peters refused to be longer held accountable alone for the treatment of the distinguished patient. Dr. Alfred L. Loomis was called in for consultation, and the two physicians prepared to do the best they could to prolong a life that was doomed.
     Dr. Loomis saw at once that Mr. Arthur's life could not be saved, although from the nature of the disease it was possible to prolong it for several months. On the other hand, it was agreed that the patient was in momentary danger of dissolution. During this time Mr. Arthur passed most of his time in bed, although scarcely a day passed when he did not arise at some time and sit up, perhaps, for an hour. He would make great efforts to sit up, being unwilling to yield to a relapse in the presence of others or to appear as an invalid. It was at this time that all kinds of rumors spread in regard to his actual condition. He preferred not to have people see him in his bed, and very few except his most intimate friends ever found their way into the sick room. He was a good and brave patient, obeying instructions without a word, and showing the utmost consideration for his attendants. He knew at this time that he was engaged in a hopeless struggle, but he made it bravely and patiently, and his friends refused to give up hope.
     In March the troubles which are inseparable from Bright's disease began to show themselves, and then for the first time hope sank absolutely in the hearts of the watchers. He began to lose ground rapidly, and stomachic derangement and other complications came to add to the gravity of the situation. His stomach refused to accept or retain solid food, and the patient was confined to a diet of milk punch, of which he partook but sparingly, and with little apparent relish. The hopeful features of the case at this time consisted solely in the fact that Mr. Arthur's mind continued clear, and that his sleep was fairly regular and restful. But he kept wasting away, and for weeks the relapse was steady, and there was little chance for hope that the end was not rapidly approaching. There is no doubt that at this time the patient's strong will power came to his aid, and that he did not die then because he was resolved not to die. He fought hard and bravely, and at length, toward the last of April, signs of improvement began to be visible. He was able to take a little food, then there was a suspension of the heart troubles, and finally he managed, with the aid of loving hands, to rise from his bed and sit up for an hour in his easy chair. That crisis had passed safely, and the anxious watchers again began to hope.
     Mr. Arthur's rally from this relapse was slow, but effectual, and about the middle of May he felt well enough to drive out. He was driven to Central Park on May 18, 19, and 22, spending an hour in each trip. The first two drives apparently did him food, but he came back from the third so weak and exhausted that he was obliged to go instantly to bed, and his physicians feared for the result of the experiment. He had not at this time fully recovered the ground which he had lost by the relapse, and it was feared that the excitement had driven him backward. Careful attention, however, brought him back to his condition before the trip, and he continued to improve slightly until the warm weather fairly set in.
     Then it was decided to remove Mr. Arthur from the city, and try the effect of more bracing air on his system. On June 24, accompanied by his sisters, Mrs. McElroy and Mrs. Carr, and his children, Nellie and Clare, with Dr. Peters, he was taken in a special car to New-London, where he was established in one of the Pequot cottages. Here, under the influence of perfect rest and the pure air of the Sound, he spent the warm months, neither improving perceptively nor retrograding. He was brought home again on Sept. 27, in no better condition than when he left, and, in a case of Bright's disease, to be no better is invariably to be worse. It was very evident from that time that no human aid could avail to restore the patient to health, and the family looked on sadly and patiently waiting for the end. Very few were permitted to break the silence of the sick man's house, and little news of the life that was passing away was permitted to penetrate the outer world. This state of affairs continued until the announcement of his death yesterday morning.


     Gen. Arthur is believed to have brought with him from Washington something over $100,000 of his salary as President. He owned considerable real estate in this city, and was always careful to keep it free of assessments and taxes. It includes property on Sixth-avenue above Central Park, known as the Red House property. His estate, including personal, is thought to be between $200,000 and $400,000. Alan and Nellie Arthur inherited from their mother property valued at about $100,000, consisting principally of real estate and stocks. Gen. Arthur owned real estate also at Long Branch. He made a will several years ago, which will be read possibly to-morrow evening after the return of the funeral party from Albany, or early next week. Mr. Knevals said yesterday that he believed the will contained only private bequests. The natural heirs to his property are a son, Chester Alan Arthur, who is 21 years old, a graduate of Princeton College and now a student in Columbia Law School, and a daughter, Miss Nellie, who is about 14 years old. It is understood that provision is made for the appointment of a well known personal friend of Gen. Arthur as guardian for his daughter.



     Albany, Nov. 18. -- The Rural Cemetery, where ex-President Arthur will be laid to rest on Monday afternoon, is beautifully situated on a ridge overlooking the valley of the Hudson, two miles north of this city. It is a city of the dead filled with costly and artistic monuments. The grounds are artistically laid out, and the gently sloping hillsides contain the remains of many distinguished citizens. The Arthur lot, in which there is a small elm tree, is on the South Ridge road, on a rolling rise of ground. During the Spring and Summer months it is one of the prettiest spots in the surrounding sea of verdure and white capped marble monuments; but to-day, as the wind whistled through the leafless trees and the rain fell in torrents, the friends of the dead statesman who visited the plot to select the spot for the interment found it a most dreary place.
     They decided that the ex-President should be buried at the right of his wife, over whose grave is a sarcophagus of Italian marble about 6½ feet in length and about 2½ feet in height and width. On the top, which is slightly raised at the middle, is a cross which is chiseled out of the solid white marble and reaches the full length of the sarcophagus. About the edge of the block, carved in large letters, is this inscription: "Here lies the body of Ellen Lewis Herndon, wife of Chester A. Arthur, born at Culpepper C. H., Virginia, August 30, 1887; Died at New-York January 12, A.D. 1880."
     The sarcophagus over the grave of Mrs. Arthur rests on a blue stone slab, about five inches thick, which extends about three inches beyond the sarcophagus block. Facing the sarcophagus are two plain marble tombstones about 18 inches apart. They mark the last resting place of the Rev. William Arthur, D.D., and his wife, Malvina, ex-President Arthur's father and mother. The inscription on the marble over the grave of the father follows: "The Rev. William Arthur, D.D. Born County Antrim, Ireland, 1796. Died at Newtonville, Albany County, Oct. 27, 1875, aged 79." This appears upon the tombstone over the grave of the ex-President's mother: "Malvina Stone, wife of William Arthur. Born at Berkshire, Vt., April 29, 1802. Died at Newtonville, Jan 29, 1869, aged 67 years. 'Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praised her.'"
     To the left of the graves of the reverend gentleman and his wife is a partially moss-covered slab, which lies flat upon the ground, and is nearly buried in the sand. It marks the grave of Jane, the daughter of William and Malvina Arthur, who died April 15, 1842, aged 18 years. To the left of the grave of Mrs. Chester A. Arthur is a small cross-shaped tombstone, on the base of which is: "William Lewis Herndon Arthur. Died July 8, 1863, aged 2 years and 7 months." Still further to the left of this grave is the resting place of William Lewis Herndon, who was born at Culpepper, Va., Oct. 10, 1817, and died at Hyères, France, in April, 1878.

Note from Manus: David Botts, keeper of a geneology of persons related to the family Botts, e-mailed me with notice that William Herndon Arthur, President Arthur's father-in-law, was actually lost at sea in 1857, aboard a mail steamer which sank with $3 million onboard. It is the President's mother-in-law, Mrs. William Lewis Herndon, who is buried near President Arthur. The error is in the Times obituary text.
     President McCann has called a special meeting of the Common Council to-morrow evening to give municipal expression to the sentiments of our people at the loss the Nation has sustained. The late ex-President was a life member of the Burgesses Corps, and also of the Grant Club, both of which organizations which hold meetings and take suitable action. It is probable that they will attend the funeral on Saturday.



     Washington, Nov. 18. -- The news of the ex-President's death was received in Washington between 8 and 9 o'clock. President Cleveland was on his way to breakfast when a sergeant of police on duty at the White House informed him that a message had just come on the telephone that Mr. Arthur was dead. The president was greatly shocked and at first incredulous; but subsequently a telegraphic message from Mr. James C. Reed, one of the late President's confidential secretaries, set all doubt at rest. The flag at the Treasury building was one of the first to be lowered at half mast, and a painful rumor was started connecting Secretary Manning's name with the occasion. Inquiries, however, and press bulletins soon disseminated the truth. The White House was at once draped in mourning, the bunting used being the same employed for the late Vice-President Hendricks.
     Words of affectionate remembrance of Gen. Arthur's good qualities and notable services, particularly in the cause of human freedom, are heard on every hand. The colored citizens of Washington have always remembered his early and gallant championship of their cause in connection with the fugitive slave law case, and the Star this evening voices what seems to be a general sentiment in saying: "He retired from office with a thousandfold warmer esteem on the part of his fellow-citizens than he enjoyed when entering it; a whole nation will lay a mourner's tribute on his grave." The following official orders were issued:


Washington, D.C., Nov. 18, 1886.   

To the People of the United States:
     It is my painful duty to announce the death of Chester Alan Arthur, lately the President of the United States, which occurred after an illness of long duration at an early hour this morning at his residence in the city of New-York. My Arthur was called to the chair of Chief Magistracy of the Nation by a tragedy which cast its shadow over the entire Government. His assumption of the grave duties was marked by an evident ant conscientious sense of his responsibilities and an earnest desire to meet them in a patriotic and benevolent spirit. With dignity and ability he sustained the important duties of his station, and the reputation of his personal worth, conspicuous graciousness, and patriotic fidelity will long be cherished by his fellow-countrymen.
     In token of respect to the memory of the deceased it is ordered that the Executive Mansion and the several departmental buildings be draped in mourning for a period of 30 days, and that on the day of the funeral all public business in the departments be suspended. The Secretaries of War and of the Navy will cause orders to be issued for appropriate military and naval honors to be rendered on that day.
[Seal.] Done at the city of Washington this eighteenth day of November, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty-six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and eleventh.

By the President,                                             GROVER CLEVELAND.
Thomas F. Bayard, Secretary of State.


     In compliance with the instructions of the President, on the day of the funeral, at each military post the troops and cadets will be paraded and this order read to them, after which all labors for the day will cease. The national flag will be displayed at half staff. At dawn of day 13 guns will be fired, and afterward, at intervals of 30 minutes between the rising and setting of the sun, a single gun, and at the close of the day a national salute of 38 guns. The officers of the army will wear crape on the left arm and on their swords, and the colors of the Battalion of Engineers of the several regiments, and of the United States Corps of Cadets will be put in mourning for the period of six months. The date and hour of the funeral will be communicated to department commanders by telegraph, and by them to their subordinate commanders.

By command of Lieut.-Gen. SHERIDAN.          
R.C. Drum, Adjutant-General.                              

     The Department of State will also send out a formal notification of the ex-President's death to all United States Ministers and Diplomatic representatives. President Cleveland and several members of the Cabinet will leave here Friday night for New-York to attend the funeral. The Senators below named will attend the funeral on behalf of the Senate: John Sherman, George F. Edmunds, John A. Logan, William B. Allison, M.C. Butler, James D. Cameron, D.W. Voorhees, Warner Miller, George G. Vest, A.P. Gorman, Joseph R. Hawley, and James K. Jones.


     Chicago, Nov. 18. -- Judge Gresham and Robert Lincoln, who will be two of the pall bearers at Gen. Arthur's funeral, left for New-York this afternoon, and ex-Collector Jesse Spaulding, who was an intimate friend of Gen. Arthur, took the evening train.
     "My acquaintance with Gen. Arthur," said Mr. Lincoln this afternoon, "really began with my official connection. Not only did I learn to respect him most highly, but to have a great personal affection for him. It always seemed to me that he overcame in an admirable manner the difficulties surrounding him when he became President. While an earnest Republican, he was above all a patriotic citizen, and I know of no act of his in which he did not have at heart the public interest. I think it is universally conceded that as fat as he was responsible, he was able and dignified. His official appointments were always considered with the greatest care, and if any were subject to criticism, it was because of misinformation given him. He was especially earnest in carrying out not only the letter, but the spirit of the civil service law passed during his Administration. In our foreign relations he was as earnest and patriotic as could be desired. There was no need for aggressiveness, but he clearly recognized our situation and repeatedly urged Congress to strengthen his hands. He was a President of whom the country is proud, and for whom it may well mourn. It was with great regret that I heard the news of his death, but it was not a surprise. I saw him in July, and it was manifest then that he could not live long, though he did not consider himself as near death as he appeared to be, and as his physicians told me he was."


     Indianapolis, Nov. 18. -- The news of the death of ex-President Arthur was received in this city with surprise. The conflicting reports concerning his health, closing recently with a statement that he was very much better than usual, left no ground for the supposition that the end of his career was at hand. To-day's announcement occasioned regret, but there was no public demonstration of grief. Senator Harrison said:
     "My acquaintance with Mr. Arthur began after his nomination for the Vice-Presidency. I recollect that I was much pleased with him, and that I suggested to him that he should come out West and let the people see and hear him. I felt sure that the people would be pleased with him, and that he would have a pleasant time. He was a man of very agreeable address; he was cordial and very kind. He was possessed of many fine qualities, and was a man of more ability than many of our people supposed at the time of his nomination. He had social qualities of a very high order, and attracted many friends in the opposite party. I was in the Private Secretary's room at the White House and saw Gen. Arthur come out from an interview with Mrs. Garfield, and possibly with the dying President, after the shooting of President Garfield. He showed deep feeling and seemed to be overcome with the calamity. I think he bore himself under the delicate circumstances of the assassination with wonderful propriety and great dignity, and he won the hearts of many of those who had before felt perhaps in some degree unfriendly by reason of his attitude in the Conkling controversy. My own relations with him after he became President were always of a friendly but not an intimate character. I greatly regret to hear of his death."